Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

NEWS > Flash Back To > Flashback to 1937 and proclamation ribbons

Flashback to 1937 and proclamation ribbons

Thank you Margaret for sharing this lovely memory with us....
Photo from the 1930's
Photo from the 1930's

Margaret Bates sadly passed away in Jan 2020 and was living in Bristol and was 94 years old when she wrote this memory. She attended Coloma on a scholarship in 1937, before the war and was not evacuated as at the time she lived in Carshalton Beeches which was considered far enough out to be allowed to stay. She was blessed with 3 daughters and 1 son and 11 grandchildren. She had fond memories of some of the nuns that taught her and did keep in touch with some school friends for many years after she left Coloma. We are truly honoured that she shared her school memories with us.

"I continue to realise how fortunate I was to go to Coloma. What I have often wondered is whether the cards in the form room enlisting the girl's names, for marks against Order and Regularity, Diligence, Politeness and Catechism are still there and whether every half term the girls have proclamation to award these ribbons. These were fairly solemn occasions where the Reverend presided with all the staff and ribbons awarded as follows:

Order & regularity – Yellow

Diligence – Green

Politeness – Blue

Catechism – Red

These ribbons were worn over the shoulder and tied in front by the navy tunic on two days a week – I think Tuesdays and Thursdays."

Margaret Bates (Née Saugent)

Pupil at Coloma 1937-1941

Similar stories

Margaret Ashton via Zoom call

We were delighted to share a zoom call with Margaret Ashton, one of our furthest away and oldest alumna. Margaret started at Coloma in 1938 and she shares her memories with us on t… More...

1945 Coloma School Magazine

Kindly donated by the family of former pupil, Pauline Everett, the content has been thoroughly brought to life by our re… More...

Margaret Ashton via Zoom call

Margaret is one of our oldest and furthest away alumnae. She shared her wonderful memories and school items she still ha… More...

Margaret Bates

In this article we pay tribute to one of our oldest COGA members and former pupil, Margaret Bates, as we share with you … More...

Photo from the 1920's

This year's COGA re-union lunch will celebrate their centenary year! Read on to find out the history of our Alumnae Asso… More...

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech